With Halloween just around the corner, there’s no better time than to take a look at the scary facts behind the ingredients used in many skincare products.
Did you know:
- the typical woman uses 515 synthetic chemicals on her body each day contained in products such as shampoos and conditioner, body wash, soap, body lotion, moisturisers make-up and nail polish;
- moisturiser can contain up to 30 different chemicals, while perfume can have as many as 400;
- our bodies absorb up to 60% of the chemicals we put on our skin, while children’s bodies absorb up to 50% more than an adults making them more at risk for disease when they grow up;
- body Lotion can contain up to 32 different chemicals including Methylparaben, Propylparaben and Polyethylene Glycol which is used in oven cleaners;
- up to one in eight ingredients in skin care products are known industrial chemicals that are cheap to manufacture and give cosmetic firms wide margins for profit;
- products that are labelled as organic can contain as little as 10% organic ingredients by weight or volume. Be wary of marketing and always check the ingredients label to be sure of what you are putting on your skin, and
- many synthetic chemicals used in skincare products have been linked to skin and eye irritation, anemia, genetic changes, reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, developmental disorders. hormone disruption and many types of cancer.
While exposure to a potentially toxic ingredient after single use of a skin care product may not cause an immediate reaction, toxins build up in the body over time and can have an unpredictable effect.
To take the “scary” out of your skincare always check the ingredients label on your product and know exactly what you’re putting on your skin. To check out Bee Loved’s range of skincare products and their ingredients go to our online shop here.
Check out this infographic from Dr Mercola about the hidden dangers of personal care products.